Monday, April 9, 2007

Peaceful Valley Scout Ranch: How I Found Myself

"Hi, my name is Wendy and I'm a Boy Scout."
"Welcome, Wendy..."

I guess it's not *quite* like that, although some days it feels like it. Most people laugh when I tell them that I'm a member of the Boy Scouts of America so I guess I'd better explain how it all got started. My involvement with the BSA began when I was 16 years old; I joined a local Venturing Crew, which is the co-ed version of Scouting.

In the summer of 2004 my crew decided to participate in an event called the "X-Games." This event was to be held at Peaceful Vally Scout Ranch, consisting of a competitive 9 mile night hike peppered with challenge events. If anyone had told me what kind of physical taxation I would have endured, I would not have signed up. Fortunately, my crew leader and my teammates managed to keep me in the dark until there was no return.

I checked in, clueless as to what the next several hours would offer me. The hike was slated to begin at 9:30pm. Hiking 9 miles in the rainy dark with my best friend, I faced challenges such as rappelling over a 20 foot cliff, for the first time in my life. As the night moved on, we were nearly assassinated after mistaking the musket range safety lines for directional tags. This earned us a swift reproof, before we were allowed in to take our turn at loading the black powder devils in order to aim their fury at eerily glowing targets.

A myriad of other events came and went throughout the night and the next morning. Only a few stand out. I came in second in the 2 mile team bike event at 9am... not fourth, as I had expected. I was surprisingly able to hike fast enough to stay with the team as we crossed unstable terrain. We successfully lashed a raft together, managing to tow it across the lake, emerging in a weary sort of triumph with the fastest team time. My legs were covered with scars, my ankles swollen and my hair dirty and matted; dripping and exhausted, I was no longer able to track conversation. I still carry the scars.

I had always seen myself as physically inferior. For years my ankles had turned over in odd directions at the slightest whim. My coke-bottle glasses and bad eyesight labeled me unmistakeably as a nerd. The wheezing and inability to cope with soccer sprints had earned me a white inhaler, to accompany me at athletic events and on rainy days. I found myself apologizing to coaches, and friends, and myself for the countless injuries and illnesses that seemed to plague me.

But Peaceful Valley changed that. It didn't matter that I had limped during the entire night, or that I had used my inhaler four more times more than I should have. It didn't matter that I fell easily, or that I couldn't run quickly. For the first time in my memory, I was an asset rather than a liability. My team took second place, on a technicality. It was a victory. I left the camp changed, with a sense of confidence that I had never had before. Peaceful Valley gave me that strength.

I returned to PV three summers later. This time I returned not as a novice scout, blithely sauntering into the unknown; I came this time to be a staff member. I came broken and nearly destroyed from a series of emotional batterings. It had been the worst spring semester of my life. I had lost my obstetrics teacher from EMT school to a devastating ambulance accident, nearly lost a friend to suicide, and struggled with an unsupportive relationship. I wanted to quit school so I wouldn't have to deal with any of it anymore.

PV gave me back my strength. It didn't require anything of me except my best effort. It didn't matter that my co-workers had to treat me for asthma attacks. It still welcomed me as it challenged me on levels that allowed me to grow. PV let me explore my definition of self, giving me the chance to determine what I wanted to change in my life. It allowed me to let go of things I needed to release, and set me free from my darkness. It gave me a future.

Peaceful Valley also gave me something would never have expected. It gave me the man I am deeply in love with. By accident, we met each other on the first day; by the last day, we knew that we wanted to be together for as long as possible. We both share something special, and we both know that there is nowhere else on earth like PV.

I never expected to find a place that I would carry in my heart. I never thought I would twice end up finding myself by getting lost in the darkness of the wilderness. The stars that I've seen and the friends that I've made would never have seemed so clear without the island of hope that we have all shared together.

I think Peaceful Valley found me. There's no way I could have found it.

2 comments:

ChelsPhels said...

Hey Wendy,
I’m posting my comments to you since I will be at Frelon instead of workshop.
Overall I think it’s a good first draft, but as a reader it did leave me with some questions.
I’m still wondering why it is that you joined the boy scouts, the way you wrote it comes off to me as somewhat nonchalant, but was it a big decision? I like how you write about your physical limitations and how you overcame them, but it seems as though the actual description of what you and your team did overshadows the really big emotional things you drop at the end. I want to know more about the emotional things you were trying to deal with and how this physical challenged helped you with that. As for meeting you current love, you said you met him on the first day, was there something with that encounter that helped you get through PV?
You have a lot of different things going on in this essay, I would like to see you pick a couple of those and write more about it as you’ve pretty much got the gamut of human emotion in this piece. It’s obviously a huge event in your life and avoiding overwhelming sentiment is not easy to do, but since I’ve learned about some of the challenges you’ve faced, I would like to hear more about one that you overcame in it. Basically a clearer focus I think would help a lot. Think about your title too, I’m still uncertain of what it is that you found when you found yourself.

Aaron said...

Hi Wendy,
I decided to start at the bottom of the blog list so yours was first.
There's a lot going on here. Obviously PV was a pivotal point in your life, and I think a great thing to explore. But I agree with Chelsea, there might be too much include.
The piece starts great. You take me through the hike and the hardships quickly without boring me with a "woe is me" story.
Then the first turn, when you talk about the scars and your coke bottle glasses. Then the second turn, when you come back as a staff member, your friend’s pain, your wanting to quit school. Then your third turn, meeting you boyfriend. So now I am all turned around and forgotten about the real turn, your scars and coke bottle glasses.
That is what strikes me as an area to explore. Why is it strange for a nerd, a physically un-kept person to have scars? What do scars say about a person? What do your scars say about you?
You write, "I still carry the scars." That's heavy? Go there.
Scars tell a story.
Let me know if you have any questions. This is the part I like.
Aaron (http://specialaups.blogspot.com)