Monday, April 30, 2007

The Profile Writing Process

It's been interesting to try to pull multiple sources for something that is by nature very static. Although there is a lot of sensory detail and imagery that I can pull from the graveyard itself and I have some basic historical perspective on the site and the individuals buried in it, I'm not quite sure what the story I want to pull out of the greater context is. What is my complication? Is my complication that the grave sites of Kalamazoo's rich and famous are now being taken care of by the city? Is my complication that people focus on the well known graves and overlook the humility of simpler, more unknown sites? Is my complication that various student types go to the cemetery to smoke pot and set off firecrackers?

I think I'm leaning more towards illuminating not only the well known graves in this cemetery, but the smaller, more obscure ones as well. A few people that I've talked to about the cemetery have given me some really interesting responses as to their reactions to the cemetery and the overall atmosphere that seems to be perceived upon entering the grounds.

Bear with me. This draft is going to be *very* rough, but I definitely will need help from my workshop group to pull it together for the final. I know there's something here that I'm missing, but I know I won't be able to figure it out until I pull out bits of it in the rough draft. Maybe someone else can see it once I get it all down.

No comments: