Monday, April 2, 2007

Personal Essay: But What Do I Write?

I know the first assignment is supposed to be easy. Each of us knows ourselves best, and we all have stories we could tell, right? My dilemma is this... I have many stories, each equally valid especially in terms of my personal or interpersonal development, but I don't know which one to pick or which one could be best understood by someone not in my shoes. That whole developing the "I" character bit. What part of my life can I best relate to bring in the readers (our class) and illustrate something important?

Here's a few possible ideas that I'm kicking around, please, feedback and let me know which ones you guys might be interested in.

1: I was home-schooled until high school. That was a rough transition... plenty of material to work with here.

2: My mother had a miscarriage when I was 7 years old and suffered a severe bout of postpartum depression subsequently. This greatly affected my development and the dynamic in our entire family.

3: I have often struggled with my body- but not in the way most girls have. I have asthma and loose ligaments, leading to wheezing and chronically sprained joints. However, one experience that I had 3 summers ago showed me that I could be an effective team member in a physical competition. Just as a quick summary: Night hike with 3 other team members, a GPS map to challenge points including medical scenario, rappelling, obstacle swimming course, muzzle loading... transition to daytime with breakfast cooking, archery, a 3 mile bike race and as the piece de resistance, building a raft and towing it across a lake...

So tell me... what story do you want to hear? :) I'm all ears!

4 comments:

Marin said...

I think any of these ideas pose real possibility. It's wonderful that you're thinking so acutely about audience, but since all these ideas have potential, I urge you to consider which one you most need to explore right now. Which grips you, causes you the most consternation? The best personal essays are the ones that make the reader feel like he or she is on a journey of discovery WITH the writer. You meander through a problem and come out at a different place than where you began (most of the time)--as the writer and/or the reader. It's a transformative experience. What makes a less compelling personal essay is a lecture or sermon, something that purports to have it all figured out. . . .

RGarfield said...

From what you put forth, it seems like the third idea has the potential to be a great NARRATIVE, but I only say that because you included some specifics there in the description. With the other two, see if you can remember one or two poignant incidents. Picture those in the context of a larger narrative. How do they fit? Whichever way you go, I agree with Marin. Each one has the potential to be a gripping story.

Tammy said...

I also like the third idea. It has a definite theme, and it seems as if you have already put a lot of thought into it. Also, it might be a little easier to write about a more specific event already having happened and you can still ask the question "How does it contribute to who you are now?".
All three ideas sound fabulous.

Anonymous said...

It is a pity, that now I can not express - it is very occupied. I will return - I will necessarily express the opinion on this question.