Thursday, April 19, 2007

Profile ideas

I kicked around a few ideas trying to settle on one that captivated me enough to dedicate the time necessary to do justice to the journalistic process. I don't want to produce just another "assignment" that I really feel ashamed of in some way. I want this to grab me, bite me in the proverbial butt and not let go until I'm satisfied with my ability to convey that feeling to the audience.

I realized that I don't want to profile a person; I'm more interested in finding a place that many of us would overlook or not necessarily take interest in. My three top choices for a place to profile include: Bronson Methodist Hospital, the cemetery off of West main, and the Kalamazoo Psychiatric Hospital. The actual physical appearance of the cemetery and the old Psychiatric hospital are what draw me to them; there's a lot of physical details that incorporate into the history of those places. Bronson Methodist Hospital is a place full of sensory stimuli; images, sounds, smells, and the emotions of the people interacting and working within. It's also somewhere that I've had personal experience with, which is why I think it draws me to it. I want to know where it came from, who's working in it, and why it's a Level I Trauma Center in Western Michigan.

Help me to draw these out. They're all equally valid subjects; I just don't quite know which one's got teeth sharp enough to bite me and the reader.

1 comment:

Marin said...

You must start reporting to figure out the teeth. The teeth come in your crafting it into story. Stories don't simply present themselves; you create them.